View count: 3429
Invited Speakers2017 International Conference on English Education
Conference Theme: English for Specific Purposes (ESP): Teaching, Learning and Digitalization
April 29-30, 2017
3 Invited Speakers
Developing Communicative Competence across the Life Span: Proposals and Suggestions
Dr. Jung-hui Becky Yeh (葉蓉慧)
Jung-hui Becky Yeh
Department of Speech Communication, Shih Hsin University
Different theories of (intercultural) communicative competence will be briefly reviewed to discuss indicators of competence—effectiveness, appropriateness, sensitiveness and flexibility. This talk will start from the speaker’s observation in various contexts regarding to the acts and actions in different contexts to discuss the purposes of communicative competence. The difficulty of developing competence is not to instill relative knowledge (e.g., concepts of communication theories) to individuals, but to link communicative motives and behaviors together to fulfill tasks. The last section of this talk will suggest activities and prospects to develop communicative competence in life spans.
Key words, communicative competence, knowledge, motives, behaviors
教育背景: Ph.D. in Human Communication, Spring 1999
University of Oklahoma, Norman OK
博士論文: Intercultural Interactions in Multicultural Contexts
Master of Arts, December 1993
Abilene Christian University, Abilene, Texas
碩士論文:The Interpersonal relationships and Communication Patterns in
- 期刊 (具審查機制)
- 葉蓉慧 (2013)。〈從《無聲的語言》到《超越文化》談Edward T. Hall在跨文化溝通灑下的種子〉，《傳播研究與實踐》，3，233-245.
- 葉蓉慧、連吉時(2011)。〈由台灣民眾的就醫經驗探討病患如何減低不確定感〉，《傳播與社會學刊》，17，61-85 。(Reducing Patient Uncertainty by Addressing Patient/Physician Relationships from the Patient’s Perspective in Taiwan. Communication & Society, 17, 61–86 .)
- Yeh, J. H. (2010). Relations Matter: Redefining Communication Competence: From a Chinese Perspective. Chinese Journal of Communication, 3, 64-75. (SSCI)
- Chen, L. & Yeh, B. (In press). Traditional value orientations and
argumentative tendencies in Chinese societies. In M. B. Hinner (Ed.).
Freiberger Beitraege zur interkulturellen und Wirtschaftskommunikation
V. 8. Berlin: Peter Lang.
- 葉蓉慧 (2011)。〈蓬門能否為君開?探討台灣社會對於跨文化溝通能力的準備與努力〉。《全球化下的台灣軟實力:媒體產業與跨文化傳播學術研討會論文集》，275-302。靜宜大學大眾傳播系:台中。(審查後收錄)
Yeh, J.H., & Hu, S. (2012, Sept.) How East Asia models of doctor-patient communication differ from Western models? Paper presented at International Conference on Communication in Healthcare. St. Andrews University, UK.
Yeh-.J.H. (2011, June). The stress-adaptation-growth process for exchange and international students: Roles of informing and consulting. Paper presented at The 9th CAFIC International Conference Intercultural Communication Studies in the Context of Globalization: Theory and Practice. Fuzhou, China.
Yeh, J. H. & Hu, S. (2010, September). An Ethnographic Investigation of Medical Dissatisfaction : From Patients’ Perspective. Paper presented at the Annual Convention of International Conference on Communication in Healthcare 2010. Italy, Verona.
Yeh, J. H. (2010, June). Analyzing Communication Difficulties in Medical Institutions: Intercultural Communication of Patients and Health Care Providers. Paper presented at the 60th Annual Convention of International Communication Association. Singapore.
Yeh, J. H. (2009, August). Interpersonal relations and communication: Reconstructing communication concepts in Chinese societies. Paper presented at the 6th Conference on Chinese Media and Chinese Civilization, Singapore.
Corpus Applications in English for Specific Purposes
Dr. Hsien-Chin Liou (劉顯親)
Prof. Hsien-Chin Liou, April 29-30
Department of Foreign Languages and Literature
Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan ROC
T 04-2451-7250 ext. 5644
2017 International Conference on English Education
English for Specific Purposes (ESP): Teaching, Learning, and Digitalization
Shih Chien University, April 29-30, 2017
Linking corpus application for English description and pedagogy has yielded an increasing number of insightful projects and publications. Boulton (2012) synthesized 20 studies (1991-2010) specifically on English for Specific Purposes with corpus consultation, and found that learners who used either general or specific corpora held positive attitudes toward their learning. More recently, Cobb and Boulton (2015) meta-analyzed 21 empirical studies (published between 1991 and 2012) concerning classroom applications of corpus analysis, and found these projects both effective and efficient for language learning. Similarly, updated findings can be found as ESP is linked to corpus applications in the international ESP journal and Taiwan International ESP Journal. In the talk, important findings will be reviewed first concerning language pedagogy and description relevant to ESP.
Topical areas from recent proliferated literature on corpus applications include language description on profession-specific corpora and ESP pedagogy. Advances made on language description include various lexical grammatical features traditionally highlighted in written texts and other multimodal genres, such as topics on semantic prosody and pragmatic routines (e.g., speech acts or through move analysis) in oral discourse or PowerPoint presentations. Pedagogical insights come from various forms of data-driven learning of both college students as well as young learners, and emphasize teacher development and corpus-informed curriculum design.
I then illustrate some of the important individual studies such as description of carpentry diaries or workplace transcripts or manual analyses for locating lexical bundles in various disciplinary writing. Last, I will suggest several promising future directions. As English teachers need more time to master the use of corpus resources and understand related pedagogical issues (Agnieszka, 2014), more efforts can be made on teacher development. Insights from lingua franca, English-medium instruction, and formality in academic writing are also discussed for interested English scholars to move beyond our borders or comfort zone.
Professor Hsien-Chin Liou is full-time faculty in Foreign Languages and Literature, Feng Chia University, before she retired from National Tsing Hua University in 2013 in Taiwan. She took a long-term interest in using technologies to enhance general English learning and academic writing. Currently, she serves as associate editor of International Journal of Computer Assisted Language Learning & Teaching, and has published many articles in various journals. Among her CALL Projects, the larger scale work was related to the use of corpora and natural language processing skills for developing web-based English teaching and learning materials/tools. Another piece analyzed research articles of computer science and English teaching and developed web-based academic materials based on genre analysis and corpus skills. The publications led to her current research interests: source use and cross-disciplinary variation (Mechanical Engineering, Management of Technology, and Applied Linguistics) in academic texts. She has often been awarded due to research achievements with funding from Ministry of Science and Technology.
Major Awards and honors
Major academic services
Associate editor of International Journal of Computer Assisted Language Learning and Teaching.
Advisory board of English Teaching and Learning, Journal of English Education, etc.
Vetting grant proposals of National Science Council or Ministry of Science and Technology, manuscripts of several important journals, promotion cases, etc.
- 期刊 (具審查機制)
- Liou, H. C. Comparison of generic structure and citation practice of dissertation introductions between Mechanical Engineering and Management of Technology. English as a Global Language Education (EaGLE) Journal.
- Liou, H. C. & Lin, G. H. 2016. A Case Study of English Remedial Teaching for Underachievers in an Elementary School of the Taichung Area. Feng Chia Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, 33(Dec.), 1-26.
- Liou, H. C. 2016. A Study on Learning to Write English Source-Based Reports by EFL College Students. English Teaching and Learning, 40(2), 27-53. THCI core.
- Liou, H. C. Exploring source use by different EFL students: Text quality, lexical profiles, and citation features. Asian Journal of English Language Teaching, accepted on Dec. 4, 2015. In press.
- Liou, H. C., & Chen, W. F. 2016. Structure and Citation Practice of Introductions between non- native Expert’s and Novice Writers’ Texts in Mechanical Engineering. Taiwan International ESP Journal, 8(1), 1-21.
- Chen, M. H., Huang, S. T., Chang, J. S., & Liou, H. C. 2015. Developing a corpus-based paraphrase tool to improve EFL learners’ writing skills. Computer Assisted Language Learning, 28(1), 22-20. SSCI
- Liou, H. C., & Li, S. Y. (2014). The effects of computerized graphic organizers on students’ performance in English reading and writing tasks. International Journal of Computer-Assisted Language Learning and Teaching, 4(3), 1-19.
- Chen, M. H., Huang, C. C., Huang, S. T., Chang, J. S., & Liou, H. C. 2014. An automatic reference aid for improving EFL learners’ formulaic expressions in productive language use. IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies, 7(1), 57-68. (SCI & SSCI)
- Hu, S. M., *Vonpumivitch, V., Liou, H. C., & Chang, J. S. (2014). The effects of L1 and L2 e-glosses on incidental vocabulary learning of junior high English students. ReCALL, 26(1), 80-99. IF=0.95 (46/161, Linguistics, 2011 JCR), SSCI
- Lin, W. C., *Huang, H. T., & Liou, H. C. (2013 June). Effects of text-based SCMC on SLA: A meta-analysis. Language Learning & Technology, 17(2), 123-142. IF=1.741, 11/162 under linguistics (top 6.79% 排名前6.79%, JCR) 2011, SSCI
- Liou, H. C. 2012. The roles of Second Life in a CALL course in Taiwan, ROC. Computer Assisted Language Learning, 25(4), 365-382. SSCI/A&HCI
- Liou, H. C., Yang, P. C., & Chang, J. S. 2012. Language supports for journal abstract writing across disciplines. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 28(4), 322-335. SSCI
- Yu, L. T., Liou, H. C., Chang, J. S., & Vongpumivitch, V. 2011. Integrating Concordancing into Vocabulary Learning for EFL Primary School Students. English teaching and learning, 35(1), 47-84. 國科會語言學門台灣英語教學第一級期刊 核心期刊THCI Core. 台師大出版
- Chen, C. C. & Liou, H. C. 2011 A Longitudinal Case Study of the Acquisition of Academic Vocabulary in Writing by EFL Students via Corpus Tools. Studies in English Language and Literature《英語語言與文學學刊》第27期, 59-74. 台灣科大應英系. THCI國科會 「臺灣人文學引文索引期刊」資料庫。
- Liou, H. C. & Lee, S. L. 2011 (Jan-Mar). How wiki-based writing influences college students’ collaborative and individual composing Products, Processes, and Learners’ Perceptions. International Journal of Computer Assisted Language Learning and Teaching, 1, 45-61. Hershey, PA (USA): Idea Group Inc. NSCU99U-2411-H-007-052-MY3. 國際期刊http://www.igi-global.com/journal/IJCALLT
- Liou, H. C. 2010 (Jan.). A case study of web-based peer review for college English writing. Curriculum and Instruction 《課程與教學季刊》, 13(1), 173-208 NSCU96U-2411-H-007-033- MY3. 台北：課程與教學學會出版，獲國科會列入「臺灣社會科學論文索引」資料庫（TSSCI）
1. Yu, L. T., *Liou, H. C., & Vongpumivitch, V. (2012, Dec.). Technology and Language: Quantitative Methods. In Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics IX, Carol Chapelle (Ed., pp. 5712-5720). Malden, MA, USA: Wiley- Blackwell. 有嚴格審查專書
2. 劉顯親, 2013 (九月)『台灣應用網路科技於英文教學之發展』《語文數位學習：第一章》柯華葳主編, 第1-22頁。台北：高等教育文化事業有限公司。ISBN 978-986-266-071-3
3. Liou, H. C. 2016. Chapter 34: CALL tools for reading and writing. In Murray, L., & Farr, F. (eds.), Routledge Handbook of Language Learning and Technology (pp. 478-490). New York: Routledge.
4. Liou, H. C., & Lin, H. F. (to appear). Chapter 27: A Survey of CALL Meta-Analyses and Transparency Analysis. In Chapelle, C. A. & Sauro, S. (eds.), The Handbook of Technology in Second Language Teaching and Learning. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
5. Liou, H. C. & Lin, Y. C. (to appear). Chapter 7: A study of guided concordance use on English vocabulary learning for writing by Chinese-L1 college students. In Barry Lee Reynolds & Ming-Yi Li (Eds.), Second Language Reading and Writing, 2013 International Conference on Chinese and English as a Second Language (C/ESL), Language Center of National Central University, Taiwan.
- Liou, H. C. 2012. What can we learn from doing EAP with the Spoken Corpus? Invited speech given at 2012 Int’l Conference on English education, April 22 實踐大學應用外文系
- Liou, H. C. 2012. The development of Computer assisted language learning in Taiwan: The medium matters. Keynote given at 2012 International CALL research conference, 靜宜大學英文系, May.
- Lin, Y. C., Yang, F. P., & Liou, H. C. 2012. L1 Use as a Vocabulary Learning Strategy in L2 Writing. Paper presented at the 21st International symposium on English teaching. Taiwan: Taipei 劍潭. November 9-11.
- Tsai, Y. S., & Liou, H. C. 2012. Scaffolding, group writing, and community building on Facebook. Paper presented at the 21st International symposium on English teaching. Taiwan: Taipei 劍潭. November 9-11.
- Liou, H. C. 2012. Second life and college English teaching in Taiwan, ROC. In Wang, B. et al. (Eds.), Workshop Proceedings of the 20th International conference on computers in education ICCE 2012 (pp. 642-649), Singapore, November 26, 30. Full paper. ISBN 978-981-07-4650-6, National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University.
- Liou, H. C. (2013). Working with MA-TEFL students on their thesis projects: Three case studies. Paper presented at 2013 Chung Yuan Applied Linguistics Conference, May 25.
- Lin, Y. C., & Liou, H. C. 2013. A Study of Guided Concordance Use on English Vocabulary Learning for Writing by Chinese-L1 College Students. Paper presented at the 5th Chinese/English as a Second Language Conference on Reading and Writing Instructions" (C/ESL 2013) (第五屆以中/英文為第二語言之閱讀與寫作教學研討會)、中央大學, June 1-2.
- Liou, H. C. et al. 2013. Social networking, collaborative Learning, and Emerging Technologies: Sustainability Claimed and projected. Symposium presented at WorldCALL 2013, Glasgow, UK, July 10-13.
- Chen, M. H., Huang, S. T., Huang, C. C., Chang, J. S., & Liou, H. C. 2013. An Online Lexical Tutor for promoting formulaic language acquisition. Paper given at WorldCALL 2013, Glasgow, July 10-13.
- Liou, H. C., & Lo, Y. T. 2013. Teaching formulaic sequences for speaking in a blended learning environment. In Leung, Y. N. et al. (Eds.), Selected papers from the 22nd International Symposium on English Teaching (pp. 148-161). Taipei: Crane Publishing Co. 最佳研討會論文獎
- Liou, H. C., Lin, H. F., Huang, H. T., & Chen, M. H. 2013. Changing trends in language teaching research: Our localized reflections. Invited colloquium at the First International Conference on English Language Teaching: ELT in a Globalization Era, Taichung, Tunghai University, 22/11.
- 劉顯親2014. 科技和語文學習：學術研究經驗分享. 2013 語文與教學研討會, 勤益科大應英系, Dec. 20.
- Liou, H. C. 2014. Source use by EFL college students of different proficiency levels: text quality, vocabulary levels, and citation features. Paper presented at the Second Asia Pacific Corpus Linguistics Conference (APCLC 2014), Research Centre for Professional Communication in English (RCPCE), Department of English, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, 7-9 March.
- Liou, H. C. 2014. A survey of recent CALL meta-analyses. Plenary speech given at 2014 Asia CALL conference. National Changhua University of Education, November 21-24.
- Chen, M. H., Cheng, C. T., & Liou, H. C. 2014. Utilizing a Paraphrase Reference Tool to Facilitate Language Learners’ Formulaic Expression Use. Paper presented at the 16th ANTWERP CALL 2014: Research Challenges in CALL. 7-9 July 2014, Universiteit Antwerpen, Belgium.
- Liou, H. C. 2015. Assessing college EFL student learning on writing using sources. Paper presented in the 50th RELC International Conference: Transcending Boundaries in Language Learning: Language Arts and ELT Across the Curriculum, 16 - 18 March 2015, Singapore. (MOST 102-2410-H-035-051-MY3).
- Liou, H. C., & Chen, W. F. 2015. Structure and Citation Practice of Introductions among Non-native Expert and Novice Writers in Mechanical Engineering. Paper presented at the 7th International Conference on ESP (English for Specific Purposes) in Asia. China University of Petroleum, Qingdao, Shandong, China, 25-27 September.
- Liou, H. C., & Lin, G. H. 2015. Citations and knowledge claims in MA-TESOL students’ theses. Selected Papers from the twenty-fourth international Symposium on English Teaching (pp. 240-250). Taipei: Crane.
- Lin, G. H., & Liou, H. C. 2015. Toward MA Degrees in Applied Linguistics: Citation Use in Thesis Writing Process. Paper presented at 2015 International Conference on English for Specific Purposes. Feng Chia University, 23-24 October.
- Liou, H. C. & Lin, G. H. 2015. A longitudinal case study of situated academic writing by three Novice MA students. Paper presented at the 7th International Conference on ESP (English for Specific Purposes) in Asia. China University of Petroleum, Qingdao, Shandong, China, 25-27 September.
- Chen, W. F. & Liou, H. C. 2015. Genre Analysis for ESP Teaching and Teacher Development: Academic Writing of Mechanical Engineering. Paper presented at 2015 International Conference on English for Specific Purposes. Feng Chia University, 23-24 October.
- Liou, H. C. 2016. Corpus applications for language teaching and learning. Keynote speech given at the Third English Scholars Beyond Borders (ESBB) Conference (第三屆英語學者跨界合作與交流國際研討會). Taichung, Providence University, May 19-22.
- Liou, H. C. & Chou, B. Y. 2016. TBLT-mediated concordancing to enhance collocation performance in writing. Paper presented at the Third Task-based language teaching conference in Asia, Kyoto, June 25-26th.
- Liou, H. C., Chen, W. F., Chou, B. Y., & Lin, G. H. 2016. Structure and Citation Practice of Dissertation Introductions Between Mechanical Engineering and Management of Technology. Paper presented at the First International Symposium on English for Academic Purposes in Asia. 第一屆學術英語在亞洲國際研討會Shanghai, Fudan University, May 28-29.
25. Lin, G. H., & Liou, H. C. 2016. English remedial instruction in an elementary school of the Taichung Area: a critical perspective. Paper presented at the third English Scholars Beyond Borders (ESBB) Conference (第三屆英語學者跨界合作與交流國際研討會), Providence University, Taichung, Taiwan, May 19-22.
26. Chou, B. Y., & Liou, H. C. 2016. Concordancing for better collocation performance in English writing for college students. Paper presented at the third English Scholars Beyond Borders (ESBB) Conference (第三屆英語學者跨界合作與交流國際研討會), Providence University, Taichung, Taiwan, May 19-22.
27. Chen, W. F., & Liou, H. C. 2016. An intervention study of teaching Academic Formulaic Sequences on EFL college learners’ writing. Paper presented at the third English Scholars Beyond Borders (ESBB) Conference (第三屆英語學者跨界合作與交流國際研討會), Providence University, Taichung, Taiwan, May 19-22.
28. Liou, H. C., Chou, B. Y., Chen, W. F., & Lin, G. H. 2016. Generic Structure with Niche Establishment and Self-Mention of Dissertation Introductions Between Mechanical Engineering and Technology Management. Paper presented at the third English Scholars Beyond Borders (ESBB) Conference (第三屆英語學者跨界合作與交流國際研討會), Providence University, Taichung, Taiwan, May 19-22.
29. Liou, H. C., & Chou, B. Y. 2016. TBLT-mediated concordancing for enhancement of collocation performance in writing. Paper presented at the Third Task-based Language Teaching in Asia conference, Kyoto, Japan, June 24-25.
30. Chou, B. Y., & Liou, H. C. 2016. Teaching collocations through concordancing to write better English in college, Paper presented at the 33rd International Conference on English Teaching and Learning, National Changhwa University of Education, May 28-29.
31. Lin, G. H. & Liou, H. C. 2016. A classroom-based case study of English remedial instruction in an elementary school of the Taichung Area, Paper presented at the 33rd International Conference on English Teaching and Learning. National Changhwa University of Education, May 28-29.
32. Hsien-Chin Liou*, Wen-Feng Chen, Bing-Yu Chou, and Guan-Hui Lin. 2016. Comparison of Generic Structure and Citation Practice of Dissertation Introductions Between Mechanical Engineering and Technology Management, May 27-29, 上海復旦大學.
33. Chen, W. F., & Liou, H. C. 2016. The effectiveness of explicit instruction of teaching Academic Formulaic Sequences on EFL college learners’ writing. Paper presented at the 33rd International Conference on English Teaching and Learning. National Changhwa University of Education, May 28-29.
Liou, H. C. 2017. EFL Learners’ Correction and Uptake of Corpus-Informed Feedback for Writing Errors: Longitudinal Microgenetic Analysis. Paper presented at the American Association of Applied Linguistics 2017 Conference, March 18-21, Portland, Oregon, USA. 科技部補助106-2914-I-035 -001 -A1.
- Liou, H. C. 2013. Book review 2: Corpus-Informed Research and Learning in ESP Issues and Applications. Taiwan International ESP Journal, 5(2), 87-90.
- Liou, H. C. 2015. Book review: Resources for Teaching English for Specific Purpose. English as a Global Language Education (EaGLE) Journal, 1(1), 89-95. National Cheng Kung University.
- (二) 國科會(科技部)專題研究計畫
- 計劃名稱：Re-Examining Web 2.0 Tools for EFL Academic Writing in College Contexts, 2010/8/1-2013/7/31. NSC99-2411-H-007-052-MY3, 主持人、三年期預核案(1/3~3/3) NT$1847,000
- 雲端為本資料密集式之數位學習:紮根於學術英文說與寫, 共同主持人,全程執行期限： 100/08/01 ～ 103/07/31, 計畫編號：NSC 100-2511-S-007 -005 -MY3, 三年期預核案(1/3~3/3), 主持人：清大資工張俊盛，其他共同主持人：交大英教所孫于智、葉修文 NT$6370,000
- 大專生英文引文寫作之三年研究：學生看法、資料使用、及學門差異, 執行期限: 102/8/1-105/7/31, 計畫編號: NSC102-2410-H-035-051-MY3, 主持人, 三年預核案 NT$1890,000
- 100年語言學門北歐地區參訪計畫, NT$116,128
- 102 (主持人)團隊參與國際學術組織會議 2013世界電腦輔助語言學習研討會 60萬
- 主持「數位學習國家型計畫」下之國科會部份的三年期整合型計畫「前瞻性數位英文學習中心CANDLE之研發：應用(雙語)語料庫及電腦化學習支援」（前瞻及基礎研究計畫，簡稱CANDLE, http://candle.cs.nthu.edu.tw, NSC94-2524-S007-1）有11位教授參與